It is important to choose the best solution for your needs.
If you need to chat with one or more people for a general discussion or on an irregular basis, you should use chat and not a team.
Examples include but are not limited to
- Messages that do not require an email.
- General questions to another department.
- Confirm meeting details.
- Sharing singular files.
Case 1 - Chat with a single person/multiple persons.
From the home screen. Select the "Create new chat button".
Search for the individual you want to chat with.
You can now chat with that person. If you would like to chat with more than one person in a group chat, keep adding users to the "To" field.
(Optional) To give the group a name, select the drop down on the right side of the "To" field and enter a name for the group.
Case 2 - Voice or Video Chat \ Screen Share
Navigate to the chat you would like to call or share with. From there, select the respective button for Voice, Video, or Sharing from the top right of the window.
A team is not necessary for general one-to-one, or one-to-many discussions.
If your department needs one central location for various discussion you should create a team.
Uses included but are not limited to :
- Needing to track separate, on going, conversations within a department.
- Monitored communication between student assistants.
- Sharing files across a whole department.
If you have an invite/join code from a team, enter it in the input under "Join a team with a code". Other wise, select the create team button form the first panel.
Select the "Staff" type.
Enter a name, (optional) description, and privacy option for your teamm.
Search for and select the people you would like to add to your team. (You can add users later if you need to add more or miss someone).
Your team will generate with a few tabs and one "General" chat channel.
Selecting the three dots icon next to the team name will bring up the management menu.
- Manage Team
- This will allow you to make changes to your team, add or remove member, and other administrative tasks in one place.
- Add Channel
- Adding a channel will contain chat/discussion to that channel. (i.e. a channel about a project or a committee)
- Add Member
- Quickly add a user to your team.
- Leave the team
- This will remove you from the team while allowing the team to remain for other users.
- Edit Team
- Here you can edit the team name, privacy settings and select a team icon.
- Get link to team
- This will give you a link you can send out so that others can join your team (if privacy settings allow).
- Manage Tags
- Tags are basically groups inside your team (i.e. Students, Staff, Supervisors, etc).
- Delete the team
- Permanently remove the team for all users.
Meetings should be used to replace face to face meetings between multiple members of a team.
- Committee meetings
- Weekly Stand Ups
- Departmental Meetings
To immediately start a meeting. Select the "Meet Now" option from a team's channel.
From there, you can enter a meeting subject and hit the "Meet Now" button.
You can select the "Participants" button to bring up the participants menu. From there you can search for users to invite or select them from the team members suggestions.
If you would like to share your screen with the meeting you can do so using the "Share" option.