Batch-uploading material into DSpace requires creating a metadata file and a special folder structure (Simple Archive Format), zipping the results, and uploading the zipped files into DSpace.
Step 1: Select or create a collection
- If you are uploading files into an existing collection, locate it.
- If you are uploading a new collection, you will need to create a space for it in Scholars Junction.
Step 2: Collect files
- Save all of the files you're uploading in a single folder on your computer.
Step 3: Create metadata
- Use the IR metadata template to complete metadata for the collection, following the instructions in the template. Save this file in the same folder as the files you're uploading.
- When metadata is complete, save the sheet as .csv.
- If the collection is large, split the .csv file into batches of about 25-50 items per .csv. This is a trial-and-error process; you may have to edit these files several more times before they are small enough or contain few enough changes to be uploaded to DSpace.
Step 5: Upload the package
- Log into Scholars Junction.
- On the sidebar, click Batch Import (.zip).
- Choose the collection you're uploading into from the dropdown.
- Browse for the .zip file you created.
- Click Upload SimpleArchiveFormat ZIP.
Step 6: Check the collection
Give it a few minutes to fully process, and then go to the collection in ScholarsJunction and make sure everything's there.